Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

W have a hatchling Cuban knight anole that we found in our

Customer Question

Hello. W have a hatchling Cuban knight anole that we found in our yard (south Florida). We set him up in a terrarium with a heat light for day and a night heat light as well as a UVB light. After 4 days, he has yet to eat any of the small crickets we put in for him and last evening he fell from his branch about 18 inches to the bark covered floor in his home. This morning, his hind leg is swollen at the hip and hanging loosely. What should we do? Thank you
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear of this accident. From what you have described, a bone in the leg or hip is probably broken. There is no way for you to treat that. There are two choices. You can take him to a reptile vet. If you click on this link, it will take you to a list of Florida reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/florida.html

Since you originally found him outdoors, you could also turn him over to a wildlife rehabilitator. On the following page, scroll down about 1/3 for a list of rehabbers in Florida.

http://wildliferehabinfo.org/Contact_A-M.htm

Many times animals that are used to being free simply don't adapt to captivity. That is especially true of the Cuban knight anoles that have naturalized in Florida. That may be why he won't eat. Improepr temperatures can also lead to appetite loss. The cage should be around 80*F in the daytime, the 70's at night. Humidity should be maintained at 80%. The UVB light should be on for 12 to 14 hours per day. Make sure it has an output of 10% UVB.

Wild caught Cuban knight anoles seldom adapt to captivity, and often weaken gradually. If he had not been hurt I would suggest that he be releases, but with an injury, he would not survive. For that reason, either a vet or a rehabber will be needed. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope that whatever you decide to do, it will work out well.

Anna