Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I've had 2 crested geckos 7 years now one is large and

Customer Question

I've had 2 crested geckos for about 7 years now one is large and healthy looking. The other has always been quite skinny but looks like she may be sick. She looks much grayer than usual and I have never seen her turn that light of a shade. I found fruit flies and larvae in their crested gecko diet food bowls and disposed of it right away. My large gecko Layla seems to be ok but my other Gecko Zena i'm worried about.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue. The gray color could be the onset of a shed. The fact that Zena is skinny make me first think that she may be dealing with a Parasite issue. This is not uncommon in Reptiles. A fecal test can determine if this is a paraisite issue and easily treated with some medication. The life span of a crested gecko is about 15-20 years, so this is not an age issue. The fruit fly larvae is not that bad and actually edible to reptiles, but better you threw it out. You can give Zena a soak in a 50/50 Pedialyte and warm water for hydration which should make her feel somewhat better. I do suggest a Herp Vet visit for the fecal check and at that time they can also check calcium reserves. If you do not have a Herp Vet, please let me know and I can locate one with a State or Country.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mark,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Zena. How is everything going?
Joan