Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My 1 yr. Old dragon died all of a sudden, about an hour or 2

Customer Question

My 1 yr. Old dragon died all of a sudden, about an hour or 2 ago. We have uv florescent reptisun bulb. Exxoterra, 100 watt night bulb. Seemed the night one got too hot. Feed them meal worms every 2 to 3 days. Feed them greens too. The baby one we got a month a go is doing fine.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with a specialty in Reptiles. I need to ask some questions to assist you.

Was the Dragon passing normal stools?

Substrate?

Temps in Basking area, warm side and cool side?

How old was the UVB light?

Did you feed any other prey other than meal worms?

Have you ever had a fecal or exam done?

Did you use and supplements?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I only be feeding it meal worms? We sprayed it everyday. It has a florescent uv reptisun bulb and a night time red lamp. It dies suddenly
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Meal worms should not be fed to a Dragon. They cannot properly digest the chitin which is the hard outer shell. They should be getting Crickets, silk worms, Phoenix worms or dubia roaches. If under a year of age they should be getting 80 live prey and 20% veggies daily and over a year 80% veggies and 20% live prey. You should be feeding Collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole and curly endives. Butternut squash and various berries are great for a treat. The Veggies should be put in fresh daily, and done about an hour after lights on.

The substrate should be a solid one. I suggest cage carpet, tile or paper. Loose substrates are deadly for Dragons.

Please let me know if I have addressed your concerns.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am checking back with you to see if the information I supplied was helpful. Please let me know if you needed further help. If I have addressed your concerns, please rate my service 5 stars.