Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My bearded Dragons eyes are swollen shut, he has been

Customer Question

Hi my bearded Dragons eyes are swollen shut, he has been inactive, not eating, what can I do?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. This post is not your answer, but is only a request for more information to enable me to help. So, don't rate my service yet - we're just beginning. What substrate do you use on the cage floor? Is there any discharge from the eyes? What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the enclosure? Have you recently reached the UVB light? If so, with what brand and size? Thank you. Anna

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Uvb 150, sand and,bark, Which I am eliminating, I have used the light for a year
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on your answer and will post it as soon as I have it typed up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eyes look rolled back or opposite, haven't seen them open tonight,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had some crickets a week1/2 ago,hasn't eaten in 5 or so days, poor eater, dos.t eat much
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for waiting. I'm glad to hear you are getting rid of the sand and bark. Loose substrate the leading cause of eye infections, as well as many other health problems. If you can, replace it tonight with plain paper towels. Ona permanent basis, reptile carpet or ceramic tiles are a good choice.

After not eating, your beardie is probably dehydrated.

I’ll start with a first aid measure.Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your dragon for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely. After each soak, and several other times during the day, put a couple of drops of saline solution in each eye.

Next, check your temperatures. The area under the basking light should be 105*F to 110*F. The coolest part of the enclosure should be 80*F to 85*F. After your dragon has had a couple of soaks and has been warm for a few hours, you can try feeding. Get some plain meat baby food (chicken, turkey, beef). Drop a small dollop right on the end of his snout. Most of the time, they will lick it off.

If these first aid measures are going to help, you should see an improvement quickly. If you don't, your beardie is probably actually sick, and will need to be seen by a vet. If so, this link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

Unless your UVB light is a mercury vapor bulb, it is no longer doing any good. Regular UVB lights emit UVB - which we cannot see- and visible light. After 6 months, almost no UVB rays are emitted, but visible light can be given off for years. Mercury vapor bulbs do last much longer. If you need to replace your light, I recommend the Reptisun10.0 in the straight tube style. The reason I asked about the light is that some coil/spiral type lights, especially when new, can damage the eyes.

Not all experts are set up to do phone calls. I am not. But, if you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your dragon will be fine.

Anna