Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

We have two desert tortoise--one fell in the pool twice and

Customer Question

we have two desert tortoise--one fell in the pool twice and his body weight is very low compared to the other.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with Interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue. I suggest the tortoise be seen by a Herp Vet. He may have been oxygen deprived when he fell in the water. As far as the weight, we may be looking at a Parasite issue or a Viral situation. You can try feeding Critical Care for Herbivores, as an emergency feeding. Also the tortoise needs all the hay and grasses you can get it to eat. Depending where you are I suggest a soak in a 50/50 solution of Dioralyte in UK or Pedilayte in US and warm water to help with hydration. These soaks are very important.

I can locate a Herp Vet for an exam and blood work if you supply a Country or State I can locate some for you.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan