Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My 3 year old veiled chamieleon has as extremely edematous

Customer Question

Anna. My 3 year old veiled chamieleon has as extremely edematous right four limb. It seemed to come on very quickly. In all other aspects he is fine. Moves around a lot and is eating well. I just change his UB light-I increased his Ca so I am not sure what to do next.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.

My biggest concern when I hear about limb swelling in Chameleons is Chameleon Gout. This is a result of Uric Acid in the blood. This could be the early onset you are seeing in you chameleon. This is some information on this condition: http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/01/health-section-f-gout_28.html My best suggestion is to have the Chameleon by a Herp Vet to check this out and be treated. If you do not have a Herp Vet please supply a State or Country and I can locate some for you. This is not an issue that should wait as the sooner the chameleon is properly diagnosed, the better chance of recovery. This may also be MBD which can occur from a proble with metabolizing calcium in the body. It is important to have a hands on exam.

If you have more questions please hit reply. If I have addressed your concerns, please rate my service positive 5 stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

How is your Chameleon doing? Dis you have it seen by the Herp Vet?