Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Reptile Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years private, wildlife and zoo experience with reptiles, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My gecko cut s stomach and it is just skin pulled apart what

Customer Question

my young gecko cut his stomach and it is just skin pulled apart what can I do
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Are you able to attach a picture of this wound?

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! That is bad news! What you need to do is put a triple antibiotic ointment covering all the exposed tissue between the skin layers. Then you need to use a non-stick (not regular gauze) dressing to hold the ointment into the wound and then secure the gauze pad too the wound with athletic tape but be careful not to put it too tight. Geckos don't have a diaphragm so if you put the tape on too tight and they can't expand their rib cage they will suffocate. IN addition make sure to remove all bedding and replace it with paper towels (no sand, no wood chips etc) to keep the bandage clean. Then see the vet as soon as possible. If you want the best chance of this healing I'd strongly recommend you have the emergency vet (or regular vet call their office and get the after hours instructions) close this wound ASAP. This type of wound this deep can become septic and fatal very easily. If you can't make the emergency vet then keep the wound covered with ointment and see the vet immediately on Mon. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you dan with furguson animal clinic? I will call and make an appointment Monday
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

No sorry, I'm from Wisconsin.

Dr. Dan