Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I'm currently feeding my dragon 40-50 reptiworms in the

Customer Question

I'm currently feeding my dragon 40-50 reptiworms in the morning usually within the first hour the day time bulbs are turned on. I feed her another 40-50 depending on how hungry she is (on some occasions she'll wait at her bowl as if she's expecting more, so I'll give her more until she appears to be satisfied) recently she began having undigested worms in her poop. She's about 4 months old and this problem just started happening. Any suggestions?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile Rescue.

We never suggest feeding Meal worms or super worms. They are not digestible due to the hard shell made from chitin. The food that the Dragon should be getting is Silk worms, phoenix worms, crickets, and dubia roaches. The diet under a year should be 80% live prey and 20% veggies. The veggies should include finely chopped Collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole and curly endives. Butternut squash and various berries are great for a treat. The Veggies should be put in fresh daily, and done about an hour after lights on.

The temp for digestion should be 105-110 in the basking area, the warm side in the 90's and mid 80's in the cool side. I think if you adjust the temps and stop the meal worms, you should see a big difference inthe digestion. Silk worms and phoenix worms are soft bodied feeders. You can order on line www.mulberry farms.com and

www.the phoenixwormstore.com.

Please let me know if I have addressed your concerns. If I have please take a moment to rate my service Positive.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The worms I referred to are actually pheonix worm. Does her eating extremely fast maybe play a role in the lack of digestion and would it be unusual for her temperament to change because of this?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Phoenix worms are soft bodied, and when you said not digested, I assumed they were meal worms. The Dragon should be abe to digest the phoenix worms. At this point you may want to switch to silk worms. The amount you are feeding means that they are not satisfying the Dragon. The temps are a bit cool and that can also lead to digestion issues. You may want to try the silk worms, raise the temps and see if it seems to help. One last thing is the Dragon may need a fecal to determine if there are parasites which can also disrupt digestion. I am going suggest you pick up some BeneBac which is a probiotic and can be found at the Pet supply. It comes in a Gel form and would be good to try to aid in digestion.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Just want to check if you have further concerns. I hope the information I supplied has been helpful. Please let me know.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

How the Dragon doing? Is he any better today? Joan