Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My leopard gecko had trouble shedding so I had to hep her

Customer Question

my leopard gecko had trouble shedding so I had to hep her with a q-tip & a soak. she looks like she is about to shed again but now her eye looks all goopy
no coloration but like a clear goop & I can tell she is uncomfortable
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue. It sounds like you are dealing with Retained eye shed and if I an correct it needs to be removed by a Herp Vet. This problem can cause blindness if not addressed. The Vet will go in and remove the shed and then prescribe a ointment for the eyes. If the shed is not removed and she goes into another shed, it will compound the current retained shed and make it worse. I know this is something no owner wants to hear, but I have to be honest about what needs to be done to help your Leopard Gecko. If you supply a State I can try and locate some Herp Vets for you.

Please hit reply for further help and when I have addressed you concerns, please take a moment to rate my service Positive.

Joan