Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I bought a iguana 2 weeks ago and just discovered mites on

Customer Question

I bought a green iguana 2 weeks ago and just discovered mites on him. I need to eradicated this problem asap because I also have a Jackson chameleon and I don't want him to get them. What is the best treatment to get rid of them.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ year with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue. To get rid of the mites you will need to tear apart the enclosure and clean it with a Bleach water solution and rinse well. Remove all dishes and sterilize and change bedding to clean new bedding. To help the Iggy mix a tea colored Betadine and water solution and soak the snake Iggy and and use a soft tooth brush to get the mites off and make sure you get around the areas where the mites may hide.

This may have to be repeated but this is the safest and most effective way to rid of mites. It is important to get rid of all perches.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you found the information helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions about this situation.

Joan