Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My horsefield lives outside all summer but tonight got her

Customer Question

My horsefield lives outside all summer but tonight got her in for weekly bath and noticed her mouth wouldn't open , she is breathing through her nose but sort of trying to open mouth but not happening
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear of your tortoise's problem. Some additional information will be useful.
Does she seem to be having any trouble walking?
Is there any swelling around her jaw?
Does she get a calcium supplement?
During the winter, does she have a UVB light?
Try feeding her one of her favorite treats. Will she take it?
Thank you.
Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Walking ok
No swelling
Calcium on good
Uv and heat in winter
Won't take any good just walks away now asleep in house
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I first suspected Metabolic Bone Disease, but that doesn't seem likely with the further information you have provided. Infection or injury are most likely. You will not be able to treat either of these at home. She needs to be seen by a reptile vet. Infection requires a safe prescription antibiotic. Treatment for an injury depends on the exact nature of it. The vet will probably have to take an x-ray, and may need to do blood work to reach a diagnosis.
Regardless of the cause , she is unable to eat and is lethargic. The sooner she can be seen the better. Tortoises can decline quickly once something goes wrong. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your tortoise will be fine.
Anna