Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I have a three-year-old male leopard gecko who is eating

Customer Question

I have a three-year-old male leopard gecko who is eating regularly but continues to get Thinner is there anyway to get his weight back up?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Some additional information will be useful.
Is your gecko passing normal droppings?
What substrate do you use on the cage floor?
What temperatures do you maintain in the enclosure?
What do you feed him?
Thank you.
Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has regular droppings The tank for has the flooring tiles on the bottom and I tend to keep the enclosure at 95 to 85° at datand 65 to 75° during the night I feed him crickets two times a week and mealworms in between
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm glad to hear you have a tile floor. Your temperatures are a bit too warm in the daytime, and too cold at night. The metabolism of your gecko has to adjust to that, so that could be part of the problem. Over time, weight loss can result from such variable temperatures. Instead, aim to keep the warm side of the cage at 88*F and the cool side at 82*F, day and night. Unlike some other lizards, geckos do best under those conditions.
Another thing to try is to increase the cricket feeding. The mealworms are a good gecko food, but crickets contain more digestible material and are higher calorie. Another way to increase his calorie intake is to get some plain meat baby food. Drop a small dollop right on the end of his snout. Most of the time, they will lick it off.
If your gecko is healthy otherwise, steady temperatures and increased food will lead to weight gain. However, he may not be completely healthy. If he has parasites, he'll continue to lose weight no matter what you do. If you take a fresh sample of droppings in a clean plastic bag to a vet, the vet can determine if parasites are present. Liver or kidney disease can also lead to weight loss. These conditions can be detected by blood work. If you decide to see a vet, this site has a directory of reptile vets:
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your gecko will soon put on some weight.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna