Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

We have a 14 year old red eared slider we raise from a baby.

Customer Question

We have a 14 year old red eared slider we raise from a baby. Last night we noticed all 4 limbs were out limp as well as his head and neck was unusually extended. We attempted many movement with no response and tried cpr again no response. We placed him in a warm bath with his nostrils above water but that didn't work. Is there anyway I can be sure he's gone. His 15 year old owner is heartbroken and people are telling her he's just in a deep sleep
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting for answer so I can finally help my granddaughter along in her loss
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Need to get some information so I know how to proceed
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** The Expert requested in not on. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Sorry she is going though this, I need you to do several tests for me. First, please pinch a back foot and look for some reflex action. If there is none, please poke the tali area gently and see if there is any movement. Tap gently next to the eyes and see of any eye movement. If none of these yeild a response, it is pretty safe to say Josh is gone, This is the hardest thing to tell any owner, but unfortunately, it does not sound good from your description. Please let me know the results, but I suspect Josh is gone. If I have addressed your concerns and confirmed your suspicions, please take a moment to rate my service positive, so I can be compensated by the site for my time and answers. Hit reply for further help.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We actually did that last night. I got no response. I've been a paramedic/first responder for over 30 years and I was so frustrated I wasnt sure that I was doing the right care. Thanks for your time and I'm now ready to get my granddaughter ready to bury her pet.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry, animals are stoic sine many time they are seen as prey items. It is the hardest job to tell someone their pet may be dead. I actually teach CPR and First aid for animals. I am glad your were able to try and save it. Again my Condolences to your Granddaughter.

I would appreciate if you could rate my service. The question was locked for Anna, and I could not respond until it unlocked.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Merrille,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Josh. How is everything going?
Joan