Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I brought my baby turtles down to south padre island with me

Customer Question

I brought my baby turtles down to south padre island with me .they live in an aguarium with sand but I feel the sand is not good for them. Can you suggest a different kind of dirt or soil? Can I use potting soil that is organic for them. They were layed in New Mexico they are used to dirt.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue.

Orchard hay can be used in as a substrate, but what is suggested is a mixture of 50% clean topsoil and 50% COARSE -playsand. The Fish tank should be replaced with a tortoise table. The Tank is not an adequate home for tortoises. It stressed them as well as a big cause of respiratory issues. This is a Tortoise Table and how to construct it : http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/Tortoisetable.htm

You also need to lights A UVB which I suggest a Reptisun 10.0 linear tube and a Basking light. They should have a calcium supplement to work with the UVB light as well as have a high fiber diet of grasses and hays to mimic their natural diet.

I hope this information is helpful and it addresses your concerns.

Joan