Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My turtles feet are swollen and the skin looks white the front

Customer Question

My turtles feet are swollen and the skin looks white the front feet are much more swollen than the back
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if your not able to see the pictures I uploaded
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interst in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.?Can you tell me about Diet?Supplements?Where is the turtle housed?Passing stool and urates?If housed inside where a tank or tortoise tanle?UVB light if housed inside, strength, age of bulb, linear tube or compact coil and brand?How long has the legs been like that?Locating to find a Herp Vet?Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feed her manly minnows and crickets with fruit about once a week I have pet friendly grass in three locations in her tank. I have recently started powdering her crickets with reptile calcium supplement powder and I always keep a calcium bone in her tank for her to chew on andI treat her water with Aquasafe. She is house and a 40 gallon tank with coconut shaving for flooring. I use a reptile UVB 150 that I change out twice a year. She is house under a large window so that she can get afternoon sun. On Tuesday I gave her 10 minnows and she ate nine of them that night and she also ate several crickets too. I think it may be gout I just didn't know if Gout could cause her feet to swell like that. Since she has become so efficient at hunting I will no longer put that many fish or crickets in at one time. I just noticed her feet swollen this morning and she is still moving around her tank and I noticed when she was claiming out of her water dish. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to know to help diagnose the issue and if you think I should take her to a vet can you recommend a reptile vet in El Paso Tx.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
This may be gout which is crystals caused by uric acid http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=17+1796&aid=2496, or we may be dealing with kidney issues which are common in turtles. She would do better in a tortoise table. The tank does not offer enough circulation of air, which can lead to respiratory issues. She should also be having greens in her diet. The legs are white from lack of circulation in the legs. we need to have her treated asap by a Herp Vet. These are two links for Texas Herp Vets: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Info/texas.htm or http://www.anapsid.org/vets/texas.htmlI really feel this turtle needs to be seen asap, with the extreme swelling in the legs.Please let me know if I have addressed your concerns. Further questions hit reply.Joan