Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

3 weeks ago he went to the vets (who has some experience with

Customer Question

3 weeks ago he went to the vets (who has some experience with reptiles, my nearest reptile specialist is 60 miles away). He took an Xray and saw he had a lump that was food, most likely locusts. He spent the day at the vets, had 2 treatments of fluids/nutrients and liquid paraffin. The next day (once he was home he went for quite a big poop and i thought that was it). However the next week he was acting better in himself but still not totally himself so he went back in the vets for 2 more sessions of the same. He pooped the next day again (this time not as much but could see bits of locust in it which I thought meant it was breaking up) This was last Tuesday and since, he has still been lethargic. Now I see that he's beginning to shed so I'm not sure whether that's now the problem or not (he'd normally be lethargic when he's shedding), arrrgh! I have still been giving him daily baths and he's been eating squash baby food with a tiny bit of olive oil mixed in. The vet told me to offer locusts, but i'm not sure if that's a good idea if he still has an impaction?!
I can feel a lump in his lower tummy but I don't know if that's a lump that should be there or if that's THE lump!
I'm struggling to know what to do now. My vet said if no improvement (he has been to toilet since then though) by beginning of next week he'll refer me to the specialist 60 miles away. I just wonder if you guys have any advice for me? The stress is killing me!
Setup:
4 foot viv, arcadia 12% strip bulb changed 2 moths ago, Temps 85 cool and 102 basking, thermometers probe and heat gun, substrate tile, diet locusts and wax worms, green and squash (not as much veg as he should)
Vet said he has good bone density (from the xray) and he has a yearly fecal sample, last one was clear.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.Can you tell me your location so I can find a reptile Vet?Do you have a UVB bulb, age, strength, linear tube or compact coil, and Brand?Basking light?Supplements?Type of Veggies?Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in Devon UK. The vet has a specialist he can refer me to in Exeter.I answered most of the other questions in my original post, please read!
When he's eating properly he would eat 5 -7 medium (2cm) locusts a day. They would be supplimented with calcium 5 days and nutrients 2 days. He doesnt eat many spring greens and other veg, unless its baby food on his lip.