Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

How often should I change the zoo med bulbs in my bearded

Customer Question

how often should I change the zoo med bulbs in my bearded dragons tank?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in reptiles.
The UVB bulbs need to be changed every six months. They continue to emit visible light after that, so they may still look fine to us. However, they don't give off a significant amount of UVB rays (which are invisible to our eyes) after that point.
Some of the ZooMed lights aren't actually UVB lights, so do be sure of what you buy.You need a light with an output of 10.0 UVB. Don't take the word of pet store personnel, but read it for yourself. Full-spectrum, DayGlo, daylight, UV, and UVA are NOT the same thing. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this because it's crucial to a reptile’s health. Without this light, Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) will develop because they won't be able to produce vitamin D. Vitamin supplements are not a good replacement for the proper lighting. MBD causes a very slow and painful death. Light that comes through a window isn't sufficient because the glass filters out the UVB rays.
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope Damian will continue to thrive for you.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Damian. How is everything going?

Anna