Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My bearded dragon has a large lump under her mouth, I have

Customer Question

Hi my bearded dragon has a large lump under her mouth, I have been told its a calcium build up, is this true? And how do I fix her?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.Can you tell me about the set up?Diet prey/veggies?Supplements?Temps in basking area, warm side and cool side?How are temps measured?UVB bulb. Linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?Substrate?Can you post a picture of the area so I can have a visual of it?Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10.0 coil UV (Exo Terra)
Substrate: woodchip
Supplement: nutrobol
Live food:locusts and mealworms
85-95 degrees
Mixed salad and veg: kale, peppers, peas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Temps measured using laser infrared thermometer
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I would really need to see a picture to help with the answer. I will wait and see if you can post one for me.Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope this works this time
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi,What you are seeing is Gular Edema. This needs to be seen by a Herp Vet. It is what I suspected. This can be a Thyroid issue, a kidney issue, or Hypervitamintosis A which is an overdose of Vitamin A. You have some issues with husbandry and diet. You should be using a Solid substrate. Loose substrates can be ingested and cause a blockage in the intestinal tract. Tile, paper towels, or cage carpet is much better for the Dragon.The basking area should be 105*F-110*F, the warm side mid 90's and the cool side mid 80's. If the temperature is too cool the Dragon will shut down, and cannot digest food. They need the warmth to thermoregulate the body temperature since they are cold blooded. I would get a dual digital probe thermometer vs a stick on and recheck all temps zones. The next issue we have is the UVB light and lack of a calcium supplement. The UVB light that is suggested is a Reptisun florescent linear tube 10.0. This is needed to work with a daily Plain calcium supplement to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease. This is some information on lighting: http://www.anapsid.org/uvtable.html This is the reason we do not suggest the coil UVB bulb: Compact UVB problems: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm UVB bulbs need to be changed every 6 months. The Reptisun 10.0 linear tube is the best one for the Dragon. Red bulbs can cause thermal burns, so do not recommend it unless extremely cold. Better to have a higher watt basking bulb.The UVB bulb should not have any plastic between it and the Dragon, it needs to run the length of the tank and be no more than 12" from the Dragon. Both lights should run daily for 12-14 hours a day. I want to give you some information on Metabolic Bone Disease, so you understand the importance of a calcium supplement to work with the UVB bulb: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/metabolicbd.htm The diet is the next issue we have to deal with. Dragons under a year old need to have 80% live prey and 20% veggies over a year old the percentages reverse to 80% Veggies and 20% live prey. The live prey should include crickets, roaches, silk worms, phoenix worms and Goliath worms. Meal worms and super worms are too high in chitin which is the hard outer shell. Wax worms are like feeding candy. As far as veggies finely chopped, kale if fed too often can actually cause problems with binding calcium. I suggest collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, butternut squash and various berries for a treat. This is a good food chart:http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.htmlMake sure you use a plain calcium supplement 5 days a week and a Vitamin 2 days a week.These corrections should help the Dragon. I would also like you to d a daily soak for hydration. Please use a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak. Support the baby in the soak for about 10 mins or until the water get cold.If you need a Herp Vet please supply a location. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service. If you have further questions, please hit reply.Joan