Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My son caught a American toad out baby bearded dragon licked the toad and keeps opening

Customer Question

My son caught a American toad out baby bearded dragon licked the toad and keeps opening his mouth .He has darkened under his neck . I gave him a warm water bath and gave him water
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for over 30+ years working with reptiles.Please gently hold the Dragon face down and rinse the mouth well. Some toads give off toxic secretions, so it is important to rinse the mouth the same was we do with dogs or cats that have licked a bufo toad. Make sure not to get the water down the throat, but where it cleans the inside of the mouth. I will stand by.Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is very little 4 weeks maybe . We already gave him a bath and gave him water on his nose to drink . I gave him another bath and rinsed him but, I can't get it in his mouth it's closed . He is not sitting around w his mouth open does that mean he is feeling better?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi,It may have been enough to wash the mouth of the toxins. We never bring toads or frogs near other reptiles. You son needs to wash his hand s well. Toads and frogs secret toxins through the skin as well as urinate so to be safe have him wash hands before he touches his face, eyes, or mouth. I would monitor the Dragon for lethargy and lack of appetite and if any problems, have him seen by a Herp Vet. if you need one, I can locate one with a State.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We live in chagrin falls ohio
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,This is a List of Vets in Ohio :http://http://www.anapsid.org/vets/ohio.htmlI hope I have addressed your concerns. If I have please take a moment to rate my service positive, so I can be compensated for my time and answers. If you need more help hit reply.Joan