Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Joan, my turtle is 36 years old, shes always been on the

Customer Question

Hi Joan, my turtle is 36 years old, shes always been on the heavy side since she started to refuse to eat vegetables and food sticks. I feed her live fish and cooked chicken. last night i found alot of blood in her tank, i pulled her out and looked her over. Her shell and skin show no sign of distress, except on her neck which has also become very swollen. Her eyes are clear and she is very alert. She is bleeding from under her shell and a brand new soar on her neck that wasnt there three days ago. Does this sound like renal or kidney failure? Is there anything I can do?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank-you fr requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for over 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.Let me get some information about husbandry please.Can you tell me about the housing?UVB light, how old, linear tube or compact coil, strength, and brand?Basking light?Supplements?Are the only two red areas the neck and and shell? can you please post a picture of what you are seeing?Joan