Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My afican clawed frog is bloated all over. How can I help

Customer Question

My afican clawed frog is bloated all over. How can I help her?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.If the Frog is bloated there are two possibilities that can cause it. One is a bacterial infection the other is organ issues.We can start with isolating the Frog in a hospital tank. Do a salt soak once a day in a 1 teaspoon full of aquarium salt to 10 gallons of water for 15 mins in a separate tank. You will also want to treat the tank with Maracyn ll or Maroxy which is an antibacterial medication and last use stress coat to protect the frog.If the frog does not respond to treatment you may have to have him seen by a Herp Vet. These frogs stress easily and you need to be sure all conditions are correct and everything is cleaned and sterile while treating and after treatment.If you need a Herp Vet, please supply a state and I will locate one for you. Please hit reply for further help.Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done this treatment for two days. Is there any hope for her?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Sometimes it can take a bit longer than two days. A Herp Vet can diagnose as whether it is Bacterial or if organ failure. They have medications used to treat the different ailments and may be able to get the frog back to normal. They have you use a different Antibiotic or something other than what is being done to reduce the bloating. I cannot say if she will survive this bout, but I have seen several frogs with severe bloat have a successful recovery. If you need a Herp Vet please supply a location.Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi,This link has several Herp Vets listed in your area:http://www.anapsid.org/vets/indiana.htmlI hope they will be able to treat the Frog. They may be able to aspirate some of the fluid and treat with another antibiotic.Joan