Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I'm Laura with a sick Box turtle I think it's repertory s

Customer Question

hi I'm Laura with a sick Box turtle I think it's repertory sometimes breathing with mouth open. I have soluble powder Tetracycline I do not know how much to give her. I think she is a female about 5 maybe 6 years old I have had her since Spring 2011. She stop eating for about 5 days now and noted less active and now breathing different with mouth open sometimes. She has a cage outside, when it was raining here in TX day & night I brought her in house since she had no dry spots to go to. I think air difference made her sick :(
She's a sweetie and I do not want to lose her.
Thank you
Laura
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hi Laura. Thank you for requesting me. I apologize for the delay - I was not online at the time you requested me, and I'm not sure why I was being shown as online. I just logged on and saw your question. I'm sorry to hear that Little Miss Bucky is ill.
The very best thing to do would be to take her to a vet. Tetracycline is an older antibiotic and many bacteria have developed a resistance to it. It is not legal to give prescribing information through this forum, but I can direct you to a site that has the information on tetracycline that you want. You'll need to copy and paste the URL to your browser window. Then scroll down on the page past the antiparasitic medications to the antibiotics:
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medications.htm
If you decide to see a vet, these sites have directories of those who treat turtles:
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Info/state_resources.htm
http://www.nytts.org/nytts/helpnet.htm
Turtles do best with heat from above, rather than below, so if you can set up a basking area for her, that would be better than the heating pad. You can use any sort of light fixture that will hold an incandescent light - it doesn't have to be something from a pet store. The area directly under it should be kept at 87* to 90*F, but make sure the enclosure has a cooler area she can crawl to if she wants.
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope that whatever you decide to do, Little Miss Bucky will reach a full recovery.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!