Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I have a female African Clawed Frog. After just changing the

Customer Question

I have a female African Clawed Frog. After just changing the tank and 5 minutes of returning her to the aquarium, the frog starts trying to jump out of the tank which has never bee done before. Less than 5 minutes later she sinks to the bottom with her feet touching the gravel and her body outstretched. HEr hands seem to then dissipate into this foamy thing. She then went belly side up on the gravel and had spasms. She died but I dont understand what happened
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.When changing the water was it right out of the tap?Did you treat the water before putting it in the tank?Is she the only frog that was in that tank?Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it was right out of the tap as I have done for 4 years now with her. I have never treated the water before. She has always been the only frog in the tank.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I suspect the the water may have had an excessive amount of Chloramines in the water from the treatment plant. Every so often we see this happen. The Chloramines which is Chlorine and Ammonia that is in the water, can cause the exact signs you had seen. It is toxic to fish and Amphibians and will kill almost instantly. I always suggest the water be treated with a dechlorinator like Amquel to make the water safe for the Frogs.I am so sorry for the loss and my condolences.Joan