Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Are gecko has gotten very skinny and wont eat. We no longer

Customer Question

Are gecko has gotten very skinny and wont eat. We no longer have a sand substrate, He has moist warm hideaway. He wont even open his mouth to hand feed him worms or crickets. I have given him a few warms baths. He is so skinny, I just cant get any food into him.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'm so sorry to hear of this problem.
From what you have described, it may be too late to save your gecko, but we can try. Before I give you first aid measures, I will say that the very best thing you can do is take him to a reptile vet as soon as possible. You may be able to find one who takes emergency calls. This site has a directory of such vets:
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist
It sounds like you think Moses is impacted/constipated. Giving him baths was a good idea, but we can make that better. Start by buying some prune baby food and some Pedialyte. Instead of trying to force it into his mouth, try dropping a small dollop right on the end of his snout. If they are not too weak and sick, reflexes will cause them to lick it off. If he will eat some, wait about an hour before going on to the next step. If he won't eat, just proceed without waiting. Prepare a shallow warm (about 85*F) bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak Moses for about 20 to 30 minutes. After the first 10 minutes, with him still in the water, gently massage his underside from front to vent (where droppings pass out) for an additional 10 minutes. That may be enough to help him pass some feces. Be sure to supervise closely and keep his nostrils out of the water. This can be repeated twice per day. Even if you don't do the massage, the long soaks in the Pedialyte solution can rehydrate him.
Double check your temperatures to make sure the heating equipment is working properly. The warm side should be 88*F and the cool side of the enclosure 82*F.
The above steps will be all you can do on your own. A vet could administer fluids, a laxative if needed, or even do surgery if a blockage was detected.
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope you'll be able to save Moses.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Have you had a chance to try the steps above? How is he doing now?
Anna