Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).
76915428

Is there a difference between cat and dog fleas ? my brother

Customer Question

Is there a difference between cat and dog fleas ? my brother has a momma cat and kitten, they have fleas and he keeping going over to mom's house.. she uses a fogger but the fleas keep coming back. I told her he is the culprit... he's not treating his house or animals and therefore transports them to her house. right or wrong ?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 1 year ago.
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you! Unfortunately for your brother, you are absolutely correct- there is no difference and the cats are the likely cause of the persistence in your mother's house if he continues to not treat them for their fleas and bringing them to her house. Additionally, fleas are great at living in carpets, nooks and crannies in homes, so sometimes multiple treatments of the home are necessary to fully resolve an infestation. I highly recommend your brother treat his cats with a monthly flea product and that he does so for a minimum of 6 months, and that concurrently, he treat his house. Only then will he gain control over his flea problem and only then will it be safe to bring the cats to your mother's house without causing a problem there. If the kitten is less than 8 weeks old, I recommend treating the mother cat with the flea product and gently bathing the kitten with dish soap (being very careful not to get the soap in its eyes!)- this will safely remove the fleas from the kitten. This will need to be performed regularly during treatment of the mother cat and house to prevent the kitten from being a source of re-infestation. If over 4 weeks old and larger than 2 pounds, capstar may be used, which is available at most pet stores (be sure to choose the appropriate dose). Thank you for your question- I hope you find this information useful! Please feel free to respond with additional questions. Once you are satisfied with my answer please remember to rate my answer such that I receive credit for my time. Have a great day! Dr. Drea
Hello!
Just checking in- how did your brother take the news?
Best, *****
*Please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!*