Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My bearded dragon is poorly! Taken to vet and he said he's

Customer Question

My bearded dragon is poorly! Taken to vet and he said he's very poorly but don't know why. He's very lethargic and just wants to sleep. He's not in brumation and refuses to eat. His mouth is pink and fine as told by vet. His skin is OK and he has no mucus from nose or mouth also his eyes are fine and not bulging. He has been black constantly for about a week. Been given vitamin poder food to give through syringe and to bath twice a day so he doesn't dehydrate. He was also given an antibiotic injection. His stools are normal. Weve followed vets instructions with syringe food but has just vomited it all back plus a whole locust which he last eaten about four days ago. Obviously not digesting things. Could you advise as he's our little man
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Something is clearly wrong, and it's going to take additional detective work to figure out what. Some additional information will be useful.

What are the exact temperatures under the basking light and on the cool side of the enclosure?

Did the vet examine a stool sample for parasites?

Was blood work done?

Were x-rays of the digestive system taken?

Was the vet you saw an actual reptile vet, or was it a local vet who treats mostly dogs and cats?

Thank you.

Anna