Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I've recently noticed a change in my beardie. He has been on

Customer Question

I've recently noticed a change in my beardie. He has been on a regular routine. He his about 14 months or so. My son got him as a baby. Was working odd hours & now in the Army. Since Ive taken over he has more than doubled in size. Both lights go on in the morning & stay on until bedtime about 12-14 hrs. He's in a 40 gal but an now looking for a 75. He loves his hammock. Lost interest in cricket's awhile ago, so I have been feeding him meal worms, didn't seem to care for super worms. He is given fresh greens every morning as well as his meal worms. Appears very healthy. He us super picky about his greens & seems to avoid them if I try adding other fruits & veggies. Just the last week I've noticed he is not eating, not even from my hand. He is mostly hiding under a fake plant. Occasionally climbing in his hammock & responds to me. I was told to use childrens play sand as his substrate & have been for the past 7 months. Sometimes he will just dig in the sand in the corner of the tank. He loves being out with me but I have not been able to do that for about 2weeks. I still pet & talk to him daily. I've heard something about them having a broading period?. So I'm not really sure if he's just super spoiled & being a brat ( he's a lover boy) or should I get bigger tank now, different substrate & try silk worms? He does have a water dish but I have not soaked him with all that was going on. I can now go back to spoiling him. When he was eating regularly his poops were also regular and normal. Just yesterday noticed just a small black stool.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.Can you tell me about the UVB bulb? How old, Linear tube or compact coil, strength, and Brand?Temps in exclosure in Basking area, warm side and cool side?What type of greens are you feeding?Supplements?Joan