Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I have two yellowface turtles and am in a summercamp working

Customer Question

I have two yellowface turtles and am in a summercamp working as an educator. I tried ultrasonic mosquito repellant but it does not work. All the different mosquito repellants say they are dangerous for water environment. How can I get rid of the mosquitoes without harming my turtles?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this annoying problem. Some additional information will be helpful. I need to know exactly what the environment is from which you're trying to eliminate mosquitoes.

Are the mosquitoes and turtles in the same pond?

Any additional explanation you can give will be useful. Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a tank (terrarium) in a room i share with 3 people.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. If you want something to put on your skin, you can safely use Avon Skin So Soft Original (not the new bug repellent varieties). It does a fairly good job of repelling mosquitoes.However, I wouldn't dip my hands in their water while wearing it. Take care of the turtles first, then apply repellent. The truth is that we do not want to be adding any chemicals and oils to their water. The best choices might be to either put up with the mosquitoes and itching, or use a repellent, but don't handle the turtles or put your hands in their water while you're at camp.

https://www.avon.com/category/bath-body/skin-so-soft/original/?setlang=en

If the mosquitoes are breeding in the tank, you can safely put in Mosquito Dunks or Bits according to package directions.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bti+mosquito+dunks&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=45224023555&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11420836988568949843&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5kqr9jnkfi_b

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope that whatever you decide to do, it will work out well.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hi Zsuzsa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Thelma. How is everything going?

Anna