Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My box turtles claws are falling off. One one each foot. She

Customer Question

My box turtles claws are falling off. One one each foot. She lives in an outside pen , has plenty of water and shade. She eats worms, crickets and mixed vegetables. Any ideas?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.There are a few reasons for a Turtle to loose claw They are big diggers which can wear down claws. There is also a possibility of a calcium or Vitamin deficiency which can cause nail loss or it could be a fungal infection from the soil.The best way to know what is the cause would be to have the turtle seen by a Herp Vet. I know this is not something you want to hear. but there are so many variables that can cause this issue , it requires a hands on exam. If you do not have a Herp Vet please supply a State and I can locate one for you with a State.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shelley Tinsley. How is everything going?

Joan