Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I read an answer to a previous question about bearded

Customer Question

Hello, I read an answer to a previous question about bearded dragons. I will be trying the electrolyte soak you suggested. My son's beardy is a year old. She has been opening her mouth a lot and has had some eye gunk. The open mouth is simply to what we observed last summer when we had her out sunning on hot days. She has been doing this in cooler temperatures though. Since noticing this I've done some research and determined the cage was too cool, the bulb needed to be replaced, and my son was not cleaning the cage as often as he should have. "Stubbs (she was missing 2 toes when we got her) is still eating and alert. I live in a rural area a qualified vet is over an hour away and I am having some financial difficulties, the appointment would be hard to pay for. I found a repti-boost product, a powder mixed with warm water and syringe delivered, she accepts food by hand from my son, I expect she will take it readily without minimal risk of aspiration. Do you think we can get stubs on the mend by correcting the environmental deficiencies and adding some vitamins and electrolytes, or will we need antibiotics. Also I saw some antibiotics available online for $8. That's in my price range, but the fine print said you needed to treat with pro-biopics after treatment and it kinda scared me off.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue.Can you tell me about the set up?Do you have a UVB light, linear tube, compact coil strength, or Mercury Vapor Bulb?Basking bulb?Substrate?Normal diet prey/Veggies?Supplements?Temps in Basking area warm side and cool side?State to locate a Herp Vet?Joan