Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Leapard gecko stopped eating and eyes are closed

Customer Question

Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.Can you tell me about the set up?Diet?Supplements?Moist hide?Substrate/bedding?Is the gecko passing stool?Temps?Heat source?How long has the gecko been off food?Last shed?Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10 gallon aquarium, temp range is 85-87 degrees, 75 watt heat lamp in center top, sand bottom with moss, sticks, and water. Diet is mealworms and calcium coated crickets, electrolytes and vitamin D supplement but not given lately. Hide seems dry, she'd 1 week ago. Passing minimal stool. Probably has not eaten in almost 3 weeks.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
HelloOne of the first issues I see is the substrate is sand and it as all loose substrates are deadly of Reptiles. It is sold as a safe substrate and is not. Loose substrates can cause intestinal blockages over time. The sand will build up in the intestinal tract eventually causing a blockage causing the animal to go off food. It can also cause corneal abrasions and sink problems. I would remove the sand and replace with paper towels, Cage carpet, or tile.The gecko should have a dish of plain calcium in the tank at all times and also have the prey items dusted as well. Too much Vitamin D can cause a neurological issue, so use a plain calcium supplement.I suggest that you use some moist paper towels in the moist hide. It is more sanitary and cannot be ingested. Moss is another item that can be ingested and can cause a blockage.What we can do now to help the gecko is to start with a warm soak in a 50/50 Pedialyte soak and warm water. While in the soak gently massage the abdomen. This will hydrate the gecko. Next we want to start some supplemental feeding by mixing some chicken baby food with some plain calcium and drop on the snout and allow the gecko to lick it off,The Gecko should see the Herp Vet for an exam. I can locate one with a State.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan