Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I am about to adopt a 150 pound African Tortoise. Parents

Customer Question

I am about to adopt a 150 pound African Tortoise. Parents moving to Oregan where they think it would be too cold for him. 1. Is it too cold for him? 2. He has a golf ball sized
growth on the side of his neck which parents think is from swallowing a peach pit. I am
reticent to adopt and take on a major surgery. He is too heavy for a 73 year old to manage so I would need a mobile vet. Do you think this needs to be removed and if so,
what are we looking at cost wise -ball park.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.
The lumps you are seeing would not be from swallowing a peach pit and most likely an abscess or another medical issue. This situation may result in blood work, an X ray and possible surgical intervention. A peach pit would lodge in the intestinal tract and cause a blockage, not cause 2 golf ball size lumps in the neck.
A tortoise like this can live over 100 years and is a big responsibility for anyone. Before considering adoption you may want to consider how long they live but medical issues, and care that may require you lifting the tortoise up.
I have to be brutally honest about this because you mentioned your age. These tortoises do require some special care and also Veterinary care. The final decision is yours about the adoption, but I personally would advise against this adoption.
Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tortino. How is everything going?

Joan