Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My red eared slider has swollen front legs

Customer Question

Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear of your turtle's problem. There are a few different conditions that could cause such symptoms, so we need to try to narrow it down. Some additional information will be useful.
What brand and size of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb?
Does she get a calcium supplement?
How is her appetite?
Is she as active as usual?
Thank you.
Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her appetite is good; she gets alot of natural sun and 75 watt sun lamp;she gets food pellets and vegetables; her eyes are clean and temperament feisty as always.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. By natural sunlight, do you mean she spends a lot of time outdoors, or is it light through a window?
Do you happen to know the brand of the sun lamp?
Sorry to have so many questions, but this information is important in determining what is wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exo terra reptile uvb 200 26 My turtle gets 8 hours of outdoor sunshine every 6-7 days normally.When I am away for business she stays in the garage on her pen with light on 8 hours.I have a timer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The swelling is actually on her legs in the front not the back. It almost feels like a balloon,and prevents her from pulling her leg back into her shell. She just finished eating before this email to you.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Metabolic Bone Disease can cause swelling in the front or back legs, but we can now rule that out. That leaves two possibilities and both will require a vet to diagnose and treat them. One possibility i a systemic infection. That would require a safe prescription antibiotic, such as Baytril.
Another possibility is an internal problem. Disorders of the kidneys or heart can cause swelling. So can certain endocrine disorders and nutrient imbalances. A vet will need to visually examine her, and probably do blood work. An x-ray may also be needed. Once a diagnosis is reached, proper treatment can begin. If you don't know if a reptile vet, let me know your zip code and I'll help locate one. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your turtle will be fine.
Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My zip code is 78209 SAN Antonio ,TX.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am away from my computer right now and don't have access to my directories. As soon as I get home, I'll find vets for you. I appreciate your patience.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for waiting. I found these in your area:
Broadway Animal Hospital
Thomas Vice, DVM *****
San Antonio, TX 78209
Telephone:(###) ###-####
Kyle Animal Hospital
Cord Offermann, DVM
100 Hall Professional Center
Kyle, TX 78133
Telephone:(###) ###-####
Ariana Finkelstein
Mission Pet Emergency
8202 North Loop 1604 W
San Antonio 78249 (###) ###-####
Bill McGehee
Castle West Animal Hospital *****
San Antonio, TX###-##-####(###) ###-#### *****(###) ###-####
If you need anything else, let me know.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help.
Alma Cross
San Antonio, Texas
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, Alma. If you want, let me know what the vet finds. Thank you.
Anna