Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Anna, I am bit worried about my bearded dragon. Today he

Customer Question

Hi Anna, I am bit worried about my bearded dragon. Today he did a poo and after the white and the poo he gave another little push and one drop of blood came out. I thought maybe the poo was a bit big but tbh he has done bigger and maybe had a cut but I checked him and there was nothing there. The guys at the pet shop said could be a little impaction but keep an eye on him over the weekend. I just gave him a warm bath in case he needed to go again, he was pretty annoyed tbh and kept puffing and making this wheezing sound so when I picked him up to her him out his whole belly was like a balloon, like he was full of gas, i am not sure if this is normal for him cause my bf normally gets him out the bath but after a min or so he deflated again. He still has appetite has eaten rocket today and just now ate a locust and a Morio worm. His basking temp is 98 and middle is 81 and cool end is 77 at the moment, he is on desert sand sub too thank you nikki
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet etch for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.
The first thing I would do is remove the Sand. It is very Dangerous and can cause impactions. This will give you an idea about Sand as a substrate: http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/impaction/?page=3
I suggest using a solid substrate like tile, cage carpet, slate or paper. Sand can also cause skin problems and corneal ulcers in the eyes.
The basking area is too cool and should have 110*-115*F, warm side in the 90's and the cool side of the tank in the 85* range. This is important for digestion and passing of stool. If the temps are not correct, this can also cause a problem.
You need to have 2 lights, a day time basking bulb as well as a UVB. I recommend a reptisun 10.0 and UVB lights do not put out heat. The UVB bulb is needed to stop Metabolic Bone Disease. The UVB needs to be changed every 6 months.
The UVB should be a tube type. Coil UVB bulbs can injure the eyes.
Compact UVB problems: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm This should not be giving off a lot of heat, but UVB rays.
The UVB bulb should not have any plastic between it and the Dragon, it needs to run the length of the tank and be no more than 12" from the Dragon. Both lights should run daily for 12-14 hours a day. UVB cannot penetrate glass so sitting by the window, does not supply UVB rays which are needed to metabolize calcium.
You should be feeding Collard greens, mustard greens, rocket greens dandelion greens, escarole and curly endives. Butternut squash and various berries are great for a treat. The Veggies should be put in fresh daily, and done about an hour after lights on. They Dragon need 80% veggies daily and 20% live prey over a year of age.
The live prey should include crickets, silk worms, roaches, goliath worms and phoenix worms.The morio/meal worms are high in chitin which is the outer shells and can cause a blockage. We do not feed those to Dragons.
Super worms and wax worms are like giving the Dragon candy. All veggies and prey should be dusted with calcium daily 5 days a week and vitamins 2 days a week.
The puffing out the stomach is done in a soak because the Dragon was mad. Perfectly normal. I would continue with soaks in a 50/50 warm water and plain Pedialyte bath to prevent dehydration. Please soak at least 30 mins. and massage the abdomen while in the soak. I do suggest a Herp vet visit to help rule out a parasite issue. If you need a Herp Vet, Please supply a State or Country.
Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in on your Bearded Dragon to see if he is better and if you found the information helpful.
Joan