Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

We are thinking of releasing our red eared slider into our

Customer Question

We are thinking of releasing our red eared slider into our pond. We live in vermont. What are your thoughts?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.
Does you RES hibernate in winter?
Is your pond heated?
In winter could you catch the turtle to bring it in if needed?
How big is the turtle?
Is the pond protected from preditors?
Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know if this turtle will hibernate. He does not seem to. If he had never been in captivity he probably would have hibernated. He is a red eared slider.
The pond is not heated - it freezes over in the winter.
We probably would not be able to catch the turtle once we released him.
The turtle is 8 inches long and 6 inches wide.
The pond is semi protected - it is along the road.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
The turtle will not make it, if the pond completely freezes. Since he has never hibernated and in a frozen pond, he may no make it during the long New England winter In the southern States they will hibernate and the water does not freeze over. From what you have described, I am afraid that would will loose the turtle to the cold.
I have to be honest about this because it should be fine during spring and summer, but the harsh winter is not going to be easy to keep the turtle safe. This is some information on hibernating Red Eared sliders: http://www.redearslider.com/hibernation.html
I would keep the turtle inside if doing well in the tank.
Joan