Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Anna! We have a yellow belly we rescued from our pool about a month ago. He's bee

Customer Question

Hi Anna!
We have a yellow belly we rescued from our pool about a month ago. He's been so happy and basking and eating...a lot. Had him in a 15 gal tank. He's about two inches. Maybe 2.5 in...
Added a smaller RES and and got a 30 gal tank. At first they were ok together...and they still are for the most part, except the yellow belly (bigger, always hungry guy) will hardly bask at all anymore. And now I just noticed today that he has quite a bit of skin around his neck and arms right at the shell that (kind of one big piece) he's going to shed I guess.
He begs like crazy for food and we were feeding him constantly until we noticed he was lookin a little chubby for his shell.
Looked it up and I was mortified to find out we could've been doing him harm by over feeding, so we have only started to cut back about a week now.
We have heat light, sun light, basking area and a good filter. Change water once a week.
Is his skin shedding because he got a little fat from eating too much?
An
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
My nae is Joan and I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile Rescue.
Can you tell me what type of diet you are feeding?
Supplements?
Type of UVB linear tube or compact coil, strength, age of bulb, and brand?
Can you post a picture of OT by using the paper clip icon in the tool bar above the text box. This would give me an idea of what you are seeing.
Joan