Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I'm thinking about building an outdoor tank Cooter.

Customer Question

I'm thinking about building an outdoor tank for my Cooter. I live in Portland, Oregon. I'm thinking I'll keep him there through the summer, bringing him inside in late Fall. I can regulate the water temps to 75 degrees, but is the ambient air temperature too low here?
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also wonder if I can use an outdoor heat lamp to get the basking area temperature up. Wondering if the difference between basking area temp and ambient air is too great.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. If your area has a lot of sunshine during the summer months, your cooter may be just fine outside. That's because when he basks in the sun, it is warmer than the ambient air temp would lead us to believe. Your idea of using an outdoor basking light is fine. If the enclosure is spacious enough, your turtle can move into or out of the heat as he feels like it.
As long as he is active and eats well, he is warm enough. If he slows down or loses his appetite, it might be time for the outdoor basking light. Monitoring his behavior and appetite are the best ways to know if he is warm enough.
There are a couple of other problems you may encounter with outdoor housing. One is that if your tank is actually in the ground (like a pond) your turtle is likely to simply leave. They go off seeking mates the first chance they get. A small fence a few feet out from the pond will be needed. Many people make a rock or concrete block wall just tall enough to keep in a turtle. Predators often injure or kill turtles that live outdoors. Raccoons are the most common offenders, and they will chew off feet, and destroy shells. Dogs will grab a basking turtle and carry it off, thinking it's a toy. This site I has some tips to minimize these problems.
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/turtles/turpond.htm
If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I wish you success.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna