Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I have a beardie..who's around 2 or 3 years old...recently

Customer Question

I have a beardie..who's around 2 or 3 years old...recently stopped eating .. and almost over night was unable to walk n back spams. .I soaked him ..he passed a huge movement. . His spams are stoPped..no appetite..I dewormed him and do daily soaks with him..replaced all his light and moved him into a smaller tank .. tonight he drank water himself during his soak. No more bm movements even with soaking for 3 days...
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.
Please d not give oil can be aspirated into the lungs.
Can you tell me what type of UVB light you are using, strength and is it a linear tube or compact coil?
Basking light?
Temps in basking area, warm side and cool side?
What size is normal tank?
Substrate?
How long has he not been eating?
What did you use for dewormer?
Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Normal tank is a custom one ..not sure exact size but pretty big.moved him into a 10 gallon..he was put on the bark per advice of the reptile place he came from (he was a rescue) we have had him over a year.. temps in larger cage get to 105 to 75 .I did have coil lights..2 of them..for about 2 months (I found out after they arw bad) he now has the long flurosent back and it's a dessert 10.0. His basking light is a solar glow 125watt.. used panaur plus as a dewormer .. been over a week not eating .. he's looking more alert but not the same

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
I am having some internet issues due to a bad storm will post an answer soon.
Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok..today he had a bm in his soak and seems more alert but no appetite still

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
The 10 gallon is too small and can cause paralysis, so we want to get him back into the big tank. You did not mention supplements and he should be on a Plain calcium 5 days a week and a Vitamin 2 days a week.
What concerns me is the bark substrate along with the sand and other loose substrates are very dangerous and if ingested can cause an impaction as wel as perforate the intestinal tract. I suggest Tile, Cage carpet or paper, please get the Dragon off Bark.
We need to do some first aid, so please start with giving the Dragon a small amount of baby food prunes and drop on the snout and allow the Dragon to lick it off. Much safer than oils which can be aspirated into the lungs. Once the prunes are given wait 30 mins and place in a 50/50 soak of Pedialyte and warm water and gently massage the abdomen. This should promote a good stool. When done please place back in the tank. Offer 80% veggies all day long and 20% live prey to include crickets, silk worms, phoenix worms and dubia roaches. Any other feeders should be refrained. This is a food list follow the green foods: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
If he still will not eat, the we will start a supplemental feeding of baby food chicken stage one, mixed with calcium powder and some Royal jelly that you can find at the health food store or Walmart in the vitamin section.
Hopefully using this protocol, we can get him back on track eating on his own and doing well. If he does not respond, I recommend a Herp vet visit. I can locate a Herp Vet with a State if you need one.
If I have addressed you concerns, please take a moment to rate my service, so I can be compensated for my time and answers. I appologize we had bad storms and internet was knocked out.