Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My small 4 inch long tortoise has just been bitten by

Customer Question

Hello. My small 4 inch long tortoise has just been bitten by a Dog and has caused 5 puncter 2 above and 3 below it looks as if it bleeding from underneath but not much what do you advise it has been washed a small piece of shell is missing underneath.It is walking !! Many Thanks
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this incident.
You took a good first aid measure by washing the wounds, but there's one more important thing to do. Get some povo-iodine solution (sold in first aid departments of pharmacies). Pour some in the wounds. This will be all you can do on your own.
If you want to give Sage the best chance at survival, I also recommend seeing a reptile vet for a few reasons. One is that animal bites of any kind - especially puncture wounds- are very prone to infection. These infections are life-threatening and must be treated with prescription antibiotics. Second, a dog has powerful jaws, and Sage may well have suffered internal injuries or internal bleeding. In that case, she will go into shock. Third, the shell is living bone tissue and it may need to be repaired. This site has a directory of UK vets who treat tortoises:
http://www.britishcheloniagroup.org.uk/vetscorner/vetlist
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope that whatever you decide to do, Sage will heal uneventfully.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jennie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sage. How is everything going?
Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read your response on main computor. Thank you for your help on sunday. I have now taken her to vets an she has had anti-biotics an doing well.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
I am so glad to hear Sage is doing well.
If you are happy with the help you got on Sunday, please take a moment to rate my service so I may re rice credit for my time. Thank you very much.
If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask. I hope Sage will continue to recover uneventfully.
Ann