Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My subadult male ball Python has been used to feed

Customer Question

Hello !
My subadult male ball Python has been used to feed on mice by his old keeper.
But as he grows up I'm getting a bit concerned about the fact that he doesn't accept any other kind of bigger prey ( hamsters,rats) ,other than mice. I guess thats not a big deal at the moment because he's not very big yet and he can still be fed on mice but when he gets bigger he should eat proper size rodents.
What should I do ? if I give him 3 or 4 mice per meal would it be the same as giving him one medium sized rat ? or what should I do?
Thank you
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.
I do know some Keepers that have finicky snakes and do feed large mice instead of rats.
Always used colored prey because the Ball Python sees shades of brown and is more likely to eat the prey if brown in color vs an albino mouse or rat.
If you want to try the rats again you can try using some chicken broth and see if the scent seems to entice him more. If if will not take the rats, you may have to feed two or three mice and every so often try to feed the rat.
Joa