Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My albino leopard ghecko will not eat. Looks very skinny.

Customer Question

My albino leopard ghecko will not eat. Looks very skinny. I'm trying to hand feed but just doesn't seem interested. Was fine and gaining weight about two weeks ago but things are going down hill. Looking at the stomach I see black under the skin. What does this mean?
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid that it is sick. I have hand fed before with no problem. :(
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,my name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.Can you tell me about the set up?Substrate?Supplements?Diet?Passing stool?Temps in enclosure?Heat source?Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10 gallon tank shared with another. Lost a lizards a few weeks ago and my albino was doing fine. Now he is looking sick like the other one. I cleaned the cage.
Feed them meal worms and crickets.
Substrate is a carpet from Petco.
Temp is 100 on light source side. There is a cool side. Two sources to hide in and a fake tree. Water supplied.
There is stool in the cage. Yesterday I did notice that there was a vomit of meal worms.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,We may be looking at several possible issues the first is the temps are too warm. The max temperature in the enclosure in the warm side should be no more than 88*F. It is also suggested that there should be an under the tank heater which will be a better heat source, since geckos do better with an under the tank heat source. The next possibility may be a bacterial or viral infection, which can be transferred from one Gecko to the other. This is something that needs to be addressed by a Vet. Last possibility would be a parasite issue. This is diagnosed with a Fecal exam. Parasites are regularly found in the intestinal tract of a Gecko. The parasites can be brought in feeder insects unsuspectingly. In this case a Herp Vet visit is needed and I suggest an acid fast stain to rule out Crypto virus. We can do some first aid by giving a soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak for hydration and once the soak is done you can supplemental feed with some Repti Aid mixed in chicken baby food and calcium powder. Drop on the snout and allow the gecko to lick it off. Do not force feed because that can cause aspiration pneumonia. If you need a Herp Vet please supply a State or country and I will try and locate some for you. Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in CT.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi,This is a link for Herp Vets in CT: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/connecticut.html hopefully there is a Herp Vet close by that can treat the Gecko. They are very Stoic and we need to try and have it seen asap.Joan