Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Reptile Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years private, wildlife and zoo experience with reptiles, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Question, I dont understand, a pet owner or expert, when they

Question, I don't understand, a pet owner or expert, when they say if you buy a small snake do not place it in a large tank because "it may stress and die" or "the snake is not use to a large environment." When in fact a snake lives in a large-spacious-forest and are not stress, not overwhelmed by too much space.

Veterinarian, is there any true to this?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 10 months ago.
Hello!

Thanks for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

There are many many different myths and a lot of misinformation out there about reptiles. The main reason people used to avoid large spaces for small snakes is that it used to be difficult to make a larger enclosure fit the proper heat, and humidity requirements for a very small snake. Now that there are multiple different sizes of heaters, thermostats, bedding's, and moisture producers the large tank is not necessarily a problem any more. I usually recommend large enclosures, but make sure to make sure you are willing to invest in the necessary heating and humidity equipment to make sure your species of python has the proper environment to live in. Generally the larger the enclosure the larger and more expensive the heating and humidity controls are needed.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Reptile Veterinarian
Experience: 10 years private, wildlife and zoo experience with reptiles, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you so much Dr. Dan, I feel so much better you confirmed what I had thought. The $15 was sure worth the asking....one more question, what is the best substrate to put in a snake's tank?