Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Could a tortoise be harmed by using Organicide 3in1 Garden

Could a tortoise be harmed by using Organicide 3in1 Garden Spray in it's environment?

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles.

The active ingredient in that spray is sesame oil. That in itself isn't harmful, but there are potentials for problems. If Frank eats the vegetation you spray, the oil can cause severe diarrhea. You won't want him in the area while you spray because the oil would be very dangerous if he breathed it in, and getting oil on his skin isn't good for him. If you can remove him for awhile and he doesn't eat the plants, the ingredients themselves are not toxic.

I did read some reviews of this spray, and a number of people have reported that it damages or even kills the plants if sprayed during warm weather or in bright sunshine, so you'll also want to be careful with that.

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I wish you success in getting rid of the flies.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are there any more safe ways to get rid of white flies without putting the tortoise in a risky situation?
I wish there were, but unfortunately, any chemical, natural or synthetic, that will kill white flies will pose some risk to other living creatures. The sesame oil would be among the safest with precautions. You can also use sticky white fly traps. If these are placed where Frank reach them, they would pose no danger to him at all. The traps are sold in discount stores and garden centers in some areas of the country, or you can order them online:

http://www.amazon.com/Whitmire-Sticky-White-Fly-Traps/dp/B0002L2IXY

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

Anna