Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

I have a small lizzard I cannot remember what he is called.

I have a small lizzard I cannot remember what he is called. He hitched a ride in a box from Florida and I have been taking care of him for 2 years now He measures about 4 inches long and I feed him 1/4" crickets. I ran out of crickets 2 days ago, I ordered them but they did not come in today. Is there something I can feed him that I might have already to get him by until tomorrow. i thought maybe canned cat food or something like that. Does anyone know. Terri

Hello Terri,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue. I would love to assist you.

Does this look like the Lizard you found?:

Do you have any lighting over the enclosure?

Are you using any supplements?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have daylight and a heat light and a night time light. No supplements. An occassional meal worm but I am out of the also. What can I feed him?

You need to be dusting the prey you are feeding with a calcium supplement. Reptiles require calcium and UVB light. You should have a Reptisun 10.0 florescent UVB tube as well as a basking light above the tank to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease. As Far as prey, most Pet shops should carry meal worms, crickets, flightless fruit flies and wax worms. If you cannot find any of those, you can mix some calcium in some chicken or beef flavored baby food and try feeding that. It can be fed at room temperature. That will hold Dennis until you can get him some prey. I usually do not suggest canned foods like dried crickets, but it is always wise to keep some in the house, in case you have to wait a few days to get fresh prey. I am going to give you a care sheet that will help improve your set up for Dennis: Please let me know if you need further help or clarification on what I have posted and I will be more than happy to continue with you. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you think he would be OK if I do nothing. I am pretty sure that they will be here tomorrow afternoon?

That should not be a problem. I live in Fl, and we have anoles all over. In the winter they can go for weeks with no food when it gets cold here. I cannot see where one day would be an issue. Joan