Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

my pygmy sandfire dragon was bitten by a pygmy bearded dragon,

my pygmy sandfire dragon was bitten by a pygmy bearded dragon, he now has an open wound around his eye.what should i do about it?

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this incident.

I'm glad you separated the two. It is dangerous to leave them together after an incident like this. As a first aid measure, clean the wound with a povo-iodine solution, such as Betadine. A pharmacist/chemist can help you find this in the first aid department. After that, apply a thin layer of an antibiotic cream to the wound.

From your description, it sounds like the wound is serious, so it would be best to see a reptile vet as soon as you can. Prescription antibiotics can prevent infection. These links will take you to directories of Australian reptile vets:

If you choose not to see a vet right away, you'll need to watch for signs of infection and make an appointment quickly if any appear. Increased redness, oozing of pus, swelling, lethargy, and appetite loss are signs of infection. There's a large time zone difference between where you live and where I do. It's late at night here, and I'll be logging off for the night. I'll check back in the morning to see if you need anything else. I hope your dragon will heal uneventfully.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you