Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

my young bearded dragon got hit in the back of the head with

my young bearded dragon got hit in the back of the head with the piece of drift wood we had in the terrarium. he keeps opening his mouth and eyes but wont move his arms or legs. is he paralyzed or is he trying to get air?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet Tech with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescues.

How old is the Dragon?

Where was he hit with the driftwood? Behind the head, upper or lower spine?

If you pinch his back foot, will he pull the leg away from you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is only 1 month old. We think it hit him at the back of his neck area. When my son pinched his back foot, he did pull away.

Thank-you for doing the test for me. That means he does still have feeling and is not completely paralyzed. Righ now, I would like you to move all climbing brances out from the tank. Keep the temps at, at 105*F in the basking are, 90's on the warm side and 80's on the cool side. At this point I suspect there may be pain and swelling from the hit on the spine. This can cause swelling, pain and shock. Right now we want him to rest and not move around. You can mist him to see if he will lick some water. I do suggest a Herp Vet asap. I would be happy to locate a Herp Vet for you with a State. The Vet will most likely do an X ray and give some pain medication. The mout being open is a sign of pain. Try not to handle him too much. Make sure that you do not leave any prey in with him, as they can actually bite him and cause an infection or abscess. Make sure when you do feed he getting a good calcium supplement as well as the UVB light is in good working order. The Reptisun 10.0 florescent tube would be the most reliable for him to aid with healing. (UVB helps the calcium to metabolize in the body into D3 to srengthen the bones) UVB also boosts the immune system and help prevent Metabolic Bone Disease. Please let me know if you need any clarification, or have further questions. I will await a state to locate the herp Vet list. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We already removed all climbing things. He is alone. We are in Sugar Land, TX but I do not see us being able to take him to a vet. We have him under the basking lamp. We havent held him in a while because we were afraid it would maybe hurt him more. Thank you.

Tomorrow you can put him in a small travel container and take him to a Herp Vet. I will give you links. Some may even make House calls:

Hopefully you will be able to have him seen. There is not really a home treatment, other than rest. Tomorrow you can try and hand feed him and if he will not eat prey, you cna try some chicken baby food and mix with calcium and drop on his snout and see if he will lick it off. What worries me is the pain and swelling. Joan

Hi Panteli,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Not Currently Named. How is everything going?