Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My sons fat tail gecko has a thin tail and wont eat much, any

My sons fat tail gecko has a thin tail and wont eat much, any suggestions?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate/Bedding?

Supplements?

Diet?

Is he passing any stool?

Is he eating at all?

How long has he been like this?

Heat source? temps in enclosure?

Have you had a fecal done?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

newspaper for bedding
jump start caloric supplement & appetite stimulant

crickets, meal worms

yes on stool not today though

no not eating since saturday

under tank heater, 75-80 cool 90 on warm

no

Illinois

The husbandry sounds excellent! What I suspect is there may be a parasite issue going on with the lack of appetite and the weight loss. We can try some first aid, by giving him a soak in a shallow container with a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak for 10 mins. This will help hydrate him, since Reptiles can absorb fluids through the vent area. The next thing I would like to do is add some Chicken flavored baby food to the Critical Care supplement. You can make it into a slurry and add some Royal Jelly which can be gotten at a healthfood store. The Royal jelly is a high potency supplement and helps stimulate the appetite. Many feeder like crickets carry parasites that can cause issue that your Fat tail is experiencing. What I suggest is a Herp Vet visit where the can do an examination and a fecal to check for parasites. These are links for Herp Vets in Illionois: http://www.arav.org/find-a-vet/#Illinois or

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/illinois.html Please let me know if you need any clarification or have further questions. My goal is to give you and your Fat Tail Gecko 100% Excellent Service. Joan

I am just checking in to see how your Fat Tailed Gecko is doing.
Joan