Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

My sons fat tail gecko has a thin tail and wont eat much, any

My sons fat tail gecko has a thin tail and wont eat much, any suggestions?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Is he passing any stool?

Is he eating at all?

How long has he been like this?

Heat source? temps in enclosure?

Have you had a fecal done?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

newspaper for bedding
jump start caloric supplement & appetite stimulant

crickets, meal worms

yes on stool not today though

no not eating since saturday

under tank heater, 75-80 cool 90 on warm

The husbandry sounds excellent! What I suspect is there may be a parasite issue going on with the lack of appetite and the weight loss. We can try some first aid, by giving him a soak in a shallow container with a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak for 10 mins. This will help hydrate him, since Reptiles can absorb fluids through the vent area. The next thing I would like to do is add some Chicken flavored baby food to the Critical Care supplement. You can make it into a slurry and add some Royal Jelly which can be gotten at a healthfood store. The Royal jelly is a high potency supplement and helps stimulate the appetite. Many feeder like crickets carry parasites that can cause issue that your Fat tail is experiencing. What I suggest is a Herp Vet visit where the can do an examination and a fecal to check for parasites. These are links for Herp Vets in Illionois: or Please let me know if you need any clarification or have further questions. My goal is to give you and your Fat Tail Gecko 100% Excellent Service. Joan

I am just checking in to see how your Fat Tailed Gecko is doing.