Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

We own a leopard gecko that hasnt deficated in several weeks.

We own a leopard gecko that hasn't deficated in several weeks. Tried giving her mineral oil, but had trouble getting it in her. Don't know I we should feed her until we see some 'poop'. Only gave her one cricket in the last two weeks. Cant see any lump or bump on her stomach. Should we just feed her?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech and have special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate?

Normal diet?

Temps in the tank? Heat source?

Supplements?

Will she eat if fed?

Any weight loss?

Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Her tank has tile as substrate with a heating pad underneath. She has three cave options and some wood to climb on. Water dish. Temp is around 91-93 on the tile. She has a healthy appetite and will eat if I feed her. Has calcium as a supplement. We normally feed her crickets, but sometimes give her mealworms.

Thank-you for the information. Everything sounds great. Do not give any mineral oil, because that can be aspirated into the lungs and cause pneumonia. What we are going to do is feed some baby food prunes, by dropping a dollop on the snout and allowing her to lick it off. Once that is done wait about an hour or two and place her in a shallow soak of 50/50 warm water and pedialyte. While in the soak gently massage the abdomen from snout to vent. This should promote a stool. I am not overly concerned about her not passing stool, because she will eat. I would stay away from meal worms because the chitin which is the hard outer shell is hard to digest. I suggest trying the crickets, small size, silk worms, phoenix worms or dubia roaches. The less chitin the better the digestion. Hopefully the prunes will do the trick. As I said, if she was not eating, then there would be real concern about a blockage, but since she is eating and not loosing weight, then we would have a serious problem. If she still does not go and you are still worried, I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a State. The Vet could do an enema or use laculose which with help promote a stool. Please let me know if you have further questions or need clarification. Joan