Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.

26th August 2013

26th August 2013
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

My Eastern long-necked turtle will probably emerge from hibernation fairly soon (it is now the last week of Winter). What live food can I provide for him should I be away for several days? Are gambusia an acceptable (and legal) live food? The pond is bath-tub sized and separate from any natural body of water.
Thank You.
Hello Andrew and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles.

Gambusia are illegal in Australia regardless of whether your pond is near any other bodies of water. It is illegal to possess,breed, or sell them. They have done a lot of damage already.

If you'll only be away for a few days, Hercules should be fine. If you want to feed something, the earthworms or danios would be better choices. Prawns are also good if you can get them. They do need to be soaked in freshwater to remove excess salt before placing in the pond. Chances are your turtle catches some of his own food, too. They like moths, flies, and any o\insect that happens to fall into the pond.

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope everything will go well for you and Hercules.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!