Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Approx. 2-3 mo. old bearded dragon has not eliminated since

Approx. 2-3 mo. old bearded dragon has not eliminated since Thursday. Currently on .01 cc Metacam q24 hr for right wrist injury. has had 2 doses so far.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet Tech with specila interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue.

Can you tell me the diet you are feeding Prey/Veggies?

What are the Temps in the basking area, warm side and cool side?

Is Oogy eating well?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oogy eats...normally...5-6 crickets/day. He gets...this week...kale. He also get juvenile food. Crickets and pellets are dusted with calcium.

His warm side....basking side...stays around 88-90f. The cool side.....UV light side...stays around 80-81f.

He also occasionally gets strawberry, banana, peach,apple....alternated

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

The pain medication can constipate Oogy. So we can help with that by offering a little baby food prunes and then about an hour later give a nice soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak. While in the soak, massage the abdomen from snout to vent. Your temps in the basking area are low and that can also cause the inability to pass stool. You want the basking are at 105*F, the warm side in the 90's and the cool side in the mid 80's. I suggest the UVB light run the length of the tank and you use a Reptisun 10.0 florescent tube. the compact coil bulbs can cause eye issues. The diet of veggies needs to be improved. I suggest collard greens, mustard greens, escarole, curly endives and butternut squash. The berries are fine for a treat. The banana and apple will also constipate Oogy. This is a good food chart for you: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html

I also suggest if you are using sand or a loose substrate you cahnge it to cage carpet, tile or paper towels. The ingestion of loose substrate can cause constipation or impaction. It can also cause skin problems and corneal ulcers. Please let me know if you need further help. My goal is to provide you and Oogy excellent service. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The pain med is an NSAID...so I'm not sure that would constipate him. He didn't start it until yesterday so probably not the cause.

He has reptile carpet so he hasn't consumed any substrate.

The temps, setup, and diet were okayed by my vet.

Oh well...I may just go ahead and contact my vet. Thanks anyway.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Metacam can do that, even though it is a Nsaid. It can cause constipation gas, diarrhea and even vestibular issues in pets. I would try the baby food prunes and the warm soak. I have been working with Dragons for 20+ years and have helped many people here on the site with similar problems. The baby food prunes will not hurt. I also do suggest you recheck the temps, because this is the newest information and the recommended temperatures. If a Dragon is not warm enough it cannot digest the food and that can cause constipation. Joan

Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience: 30+ years experience as veterinary tech and 15+ years experience doing reptile rescues.